Sunday, May 16, 2010

When You Wish Upon a Star...a cute story I recalled today

True story, it happened about 6 years ago.




My cousin, who lives in South Florida, was getting married and invited all us 'Northerners' to come to the wedding. No sense in just going for the wedding, might as well make a trip out of it.







My brother and his wife decided they'd head down to Disney World with their then 5 year old son. They told me I should take a few days and meet them in Disney. Never having been to Disney World, I jumped at the chance! I had (and still do) Mickey Mouse ears with my name embroidered on the back. They were a present from a Disney freak in the family for my 2000 undergraduate graduation and had been sitting idle for five years. Finally, I get to wear them!






My nephew and I danced and sang our way down the halls of the hotel all the way to the Magic Kingdom. My sister-in-law couldn't figure out who was having more fun; the 5 year old or the 45 year old! She kept her distance... think she was embarrassed or something.... who cares, I was there to have fun.







That evening we returned to the park for the light parade and fireworks over the castle at the park. Even though it was considered 'off season' there were people all over for both of these activities. We winded up on the ramp to Futureland to watch the fireworks and my brother had my nephew up on his shoulders to watch the fireworks.

My brother moved over to me and says, "Listen to Joe when the fireworks shoot over the castle." I said, "Why, what's he saying?" and he replied, "Just listen to him."







The fireworks made beautiful puffs and 'chrysanthemums' in the night sky in every color imaginable. They were spectacular! Then the fireworks shot over the castle; first from left side about seven streamers shot over to the right side of the castle. Then in response to those, seven more steamers shot from right to left. With each shot of streamers over the castle, Joe would bow his head and ever so quietly say, "I wish I had a little baby brother or baby sister."

That's all he'd say then lift his little head and go back to the ooohhhh'ing and aaaahhhh'ing as the spectacular show continued. In all, I heard him say it about five times. So precious, so cute, so innocent, so heartfelt.







When the fireworks were over, I asked him, "What were you saying when the fireworks shot over the castle?" and he responded, "I asked for a little baby brother or baby sister." I asked, "Why did you ask that then?" and he responded as only an innocent child can respond, "Because when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true." He thought they were shooting stars so he was making his wish for a sibling.





I think this is an awesome story. When I was in France for my International Business Graduate class, we had the chance to go to Euro Disney and meet with their CMO, Cheif Marketing Officer among other high level executives. We were taken to where they teach their cast members how to be a Disney character, Disney University. I thought this true story was so awesome that I shared it with the CMO and said how great a marketing campaign this would make. He should use it for a commercial, a real story, from the mouth of babes.

But wait, the story is not over yet... there's more to it and if you thought it was a great story already, continue reading (I promise it's almost over).

Our visit to Disney World was in October of 2004. As does often occur, my family was at a big family gathering in June 2005. My brother & his wife had just picked up a brand new luxury SUV and their son wanted to show it off to his aunts, uncles and grandmother. He came and grabbed my hand and said, "Wanna see Mommy's new car? It's a blah, blah, blah." I said, "Sure, take me to see it."

He then takes me into the living room of the home we were at and says, "It was so noisy out there and I have something to tell you before we see the new car." So I said, "Okay, what is it?"

He said, "My wish came true." I replied, "What wish?" He says, "Remember when we were in Disney and I was wishing on the stars?" I said, "Yeah." And he says, "Well my wish came true, Mommy is pregnant and that means she's having a baby so I will get a little brother or little sister!"

OMG, I still get chills when I recall that story. Children are the best things this world has. They are honest and not jaded yet. They believe in things they have no way of knowing will ever happen. They amaze me every time I have a conversation with one.

Fast forward to little brothers arrival and turning two. My nephew grabs me and says, "I want to go back to Disney World again and my Mom and Dad say no. Do you think you can talk to them and say you want to go again. Maybe they will say yes." So I say, "Well I don't know if they will go because I want to go again but why do you want to go?" and he says, "I want to see if they will take Dan back and if I can get another one. He's always getting into things and being bad and it worked the last time."

BTW, we had a blast at the wedding and had the chance to get all my cousins on my father's side together for a cousins' picture. One of my cousins passed away about a year after the wedding and I cherish that time and picture.

~The End~

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, I love this story! :-)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YW, it really is a great story all the way around. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts????