Friday, May 7, 2010

Looking forward to 'playing' this weekend

I am looking forward to this weekend. Not only is it Mother's Day (of which I am one and I am very fortunate to still have my mother here on earth) but I get to have two of my favorite boys come for a sleep over on Saturday night and an extra man in my bed to boot! Well, at least the last time Dan stayed he cried when he was in the extra bedroom so he climbed in with us... I am expecting the same thing based on past behavior.
It's been awhile since I've 'played'. I remember when I was just a young lass and I'd go 'knock up' for my friends and ask them if they wanted to come outside and play. Some of the best memories I have is playing with friends while growing up.
Knocking up has a totally different connotation today but I digress. You'd think I was trying to smuggle in sex to this post just to gain readership!


Back then, you'd knock up in the morning and go out and play ALL DAY and no one worried about where you were or what you were going to do for all that time.... you used your imagination and played.


Sometimes we'd go to the woods and build a 'secret fort' in the middle of some bushes; get adventurous and blaze trails in the woods and capture 'Plymouth Rock'; travel through the large pipes that went under the road from the 'front' woods to the 'back' woods instead of climbing up to the road. Ah those were the days!





Tomorrow I will have some of that fun... afterall 4 year olds have the BEST imaginations - at least my Godson does. River rocks become cars and buildings and lo and behold you have your own primitive Sim City - Bedrock (no pun intended).


This adult's eyes have lost the ability to distinguish one river rock that's a car from another river rock that's a building but somehow, I believe that I will be taught the difference by someone who still sees the world as a playground. In the eyes of a child...can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Hope you enjoyed the weekend's playtime with your boys. Your post reminds me when I was a youngster we would spend summers in the Catskills. We too would just spend the running around outside and didn't require any electronic gizmos.
    BTW, it sounds like you were quite the tomboy, hehe.
    Oh and I like the way you've slipped in a gratuitous mention of sex. Nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weekend enjoyed tremendously.

    Always wanted to go to the Catskills, never been there...but I imagine it to be like Kellerman's in "Dirty Dancing", a movie I like for more than just the scenery. Ah, how nice it would be to dirty dance with someone...oh no, digressing again...

    "Oh and I like the way you've slipped in a gratuitous mention of sex. Nice! :-) " - I'm crafty like that!

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts????