Thursday, November 17, 2011

New Kitchen Progress

Well, we're biting the bullet and forging ahead with getting me a
kitchen I can live with for the next few years.

My home was built in 1924.  Stone first floor (with 16" deep window sills)
and stucco second floor.  It's chock full of character.

When we first looked at it back in 1989, it was considered a 'handyman
special' and the only redeeming feature the Realtor could say was,
"The mosaic tile is pretty."  Needless to say that was one of the
many things we've changed over the years.  But I digress, and I
will share the evolution of our home at another point... back to my
new kitchen plans...

We're adding a modest 12' x 12"10 addition to the back of the house
just off the existing 'eat in' kitchen.  The new addition will now house the
kitchen and the existing kitchen will be an eating area adjacent to the
dining room.

Wall between dining room and kitchen is being torn down too to open
up the area.  I plan to have a buffet created where the current wall is.
Again, modest 3' x 5' buffet with cabinet on both sides; dining room side
to have glass doors with mullions & lighting to 'show off' my prized
possessions, kitchen eating area to have solid wood doors.

Cabinet shopping done
'L' shaped kitchen layout (changed from a 'U' shape) cabinets to
all be creme with a mocha glaze... details are oh so pretty.
Small slanted island to have prep sink with disposal and extended to
accommodate two stools.  Trash can will be hidden in the cabinet.
These cabinets will be stained wood with a glaze...same door details
as white cabinets.

Will look similar to this with darker glaze.  Same hood.


Buffet
As described above, cabinets stained like island.

All counters will have granite including island and buffet area.

Kitchen eat in area 
'L' shaped bench seats with heating radiators built into the base.
About 11' on one wall & 5' on the other, plenty of seating for
family and friends to set a spell and visit.
I think these will be painted and glazed to match the main cabinet area.
I will still have to make the cushions, choose fabric, etc....

Last night we went to choose flooring
Wanted cork flooring for comfort while standing but found them
to be available like a floating floor in planks of varying widths or
blocks of 16" squares.  Since my current floor is that style of flooring
that clicks together AND the fact that the dog's water bowl caused
the underlayment to expand, I don't want to have that type of system
in the kitchen again.

Cork flooring cost was about $6.50 sf not including installation and sealing.
I know, I have always been told I have Champagne taste and a beer pocketbook.
Guess I still do.

Alternative flooring I am going with is a Congoleum product that's super durable,
super comfy underfoot and super affordable compared to my cork floor... only $2.70 sf.
It also won't be damaged with water and no gluing needed.  The style I chose
looks like tile and is a great alternative choice.

HVAC
Today, I spoke to a HVAC company about having the Mitsubishi heating & AC unit
installed to supplement heating if needed but definitely will complement and boost
the retrofitted central air we had put into the house a few years ago.

Extra AC unit was not an option, it was a requirement!  And I believe it will increase
the summer comfort tremendously especially since we've opened up the space by
removing the walls.

HVAC will come over, hopefully before Thanksgiving, to provide info and schedule
install within the scope of the project.

Next up, lighting
Oh, sconces, pendants, chandeliers, can lights, under counter lights
Here I come!

Can't wait to get this party started!
I have redone the kitchen before so I know it will be a royal pain in the a$$
and inconvenient, but I also know I have an aggressive timeline in place and it
will be done and over with too.

Perhaps I'll post pix of my nightmares as we progress along...


2 comments:

  1. Good luck!
    Renovating can be very stressful, I've put off re-doing our 25+ year old kitchen for fear the stress (and cost) will put me in an early grave.
    and yea, we want pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MK, I know how stressful renovations can be, we've done so much to our 'handyman special' over the years. Even did it to the kitchen since I would not store anything that would go into my children in the kitchen AFTER we spent hours cleaning!

    Who knows, maybe this will put ME in an early grave and I won't get to enjoy it! Just kidding God, just kidding....

    It's costing a small fortune and I wish I could have done it when the kids were kids (a time I could REALLY have used it) but it is what it is. I am going for it now and hope to enjoy it for a few years before we downsize...heck, I'll probably die in this house but I can dream of a newer place!

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts????