Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ah, the 40 Days of Lent begin today,

Ash Wednesday.




Christians around the world begin the Easter Season with the celebration of Ash Wednesday, the kick off of the 40 days of Lent.


Here's a great video I snagged from AOL by New York Archbiship Timothy Dolan that explains Lent.
http://video.aol.com/video/youve-got-archbishop-timothy-dolan/1897438930?a_dgi=aolshare_email




Now being a Roman Catholic, I do believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, and yes, I do believe in all those things in the Nicene Creed but that does not mean I agree with EVERYTHING the Church dictates...that's another post altogether, I digress...back to Lent.




Most folks start off Lent with saying what they are giving up for Lent... I admit, I am guilty of doing that but this year, this year I am determined NOT to make it a season of WILL NOT but a season of WILL.




For the season of Lent ahead,

  • I WILL strive to be a better person
  • I WILL look for something each day that makes me happy and reflect on the simplicity of it
  • I WILL share some of those simple pleasures with you, my blogging friends

(I know, I can hear you all make a collective OH WHY US? WHAT DID WE DO TO HER? Suck it up will ya?  Oops, that's not striving to be a better person is it?)




In my heart, I believe that

  • all people are created to be good (some lose their way)
  • those of us who follow a religion (although they be different) that has at its genisis a good and loving being that is greater than us
  • all people deserve dignity and respect, especially at the end of a life well lived
  • all people deserve to be loved

With the help of God, I pray that I am able to fulfill my Lenten 'sacrifices' of DOING v. NOT doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts????