Monday, January 17, 2011

Today we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

I still can't decide on how exactly I feel with the addition of
Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the removal of one of the President's
birthdays as an official US federal observed holiday. 
It's been celebrated for 25 years now.  Not that I am old but
I remember a time when it was not an official federal holiday.

 
What I can tell you is that this holiday is to celebrate the memory of
a man who tried his best, in a non-violent way, to get equal rights for
people of color. 

 
I don't know if it's the ability to immediately communicate news and
the violent occasions the news media likes to share with the public, or
the fact that this violence happened in the past and we just were not
made aware but it appears that violence is running rampant in today's
world.

 
I can only hope that, if Dr. King was still alive, he would have
carried his message of non-violence over the racial border and
addressed today's violence, providing a non-violent,
open communication type option.

 
Happy MLK Jr. Day. 
In honor of him, let's all try to be a bit;
  • more understanding of those who are different from us
  • more thoughtful to those who differ from us
  • more patient with those who differ from us
  • more open to others' views and opinions
  • more friendly towards one another

 
I, too, have a dream. A dream that one day,
we Americans, will leave the issue of color in
the past, where it belongs, and move forward
as a common people of the United States and
call ourselves Americans, simply Americans.

4 comments:

  1. Great post!! Martin L. King is one of the people I admire most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post..has me sitting here with pride in my heart! thanks and have a great MLK day yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks.
    I for one am proud to an American, and also proud of my heritage, but I refer to myself as just "American". Not "Jewish American", "Polish American", "Italian American", or "African American". I feel that these terms are divisive and detract from the unity of the American people as a nation.
    The dream of freedom began in 1776 and continues with each and every American that believes in the dream and works to make it a reality for all peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments and I hope you were able to celebrate being an American on this MLK Jr. Day.

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts????