Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fond Farewells

I am fresh back from yet another fond farewell.  This memorial service has gotten me to thinking.


As memorial services go, this one was similar.  Prayer, hymns and greetings from the family.  Guests were invited to share a fond memory of the deceased so we could celebrate her life v. mourn her passing.  Like other Christians world-wide, we believe that our loved one continues onto a life far greater than this earthly life.

Some stories were tear jerkers while others had you laughing so hard you cried.  The latter is exactly how the deceased wanted to be remembered.  (Me too!)



This got me to thinking about how I want to be remembered.  If I were to die today, how would people recall memories of me and would they be willing to share those memories with a room full of people?  When I go and they lay me to rest, I want others to be happy that I somehow touched their lives for the better.  That their lives were somehow changed or enhanced by knowing me.  That I will be remembered for the good things I tried to do and not for all the times I failed to be the best person I could be.


I strive to do no harm, to think of others and be the best person I can be at the moment.  I hope I am forgiven for my faults but the fact of the matter is, I am ME with all my good and bad qualities, I am ME.


If I were to die today, would the Trinity welcome me at the pearly gates with open arms?  You betcha, but I have more things to do in this earthly life, so if God is willing, give me some more time here on earth to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts????