Friday, June 25, 2010

It's Not Nice to Fool (with) Mother Nature

Wow, what a wallup she packs when she want to...

We went from sunny day to darkest of nights to wind, hail, rain and loud noise all in a matter of 10 minutes and the landscape is changed forever.

Who needs electricity for an alarm clock when you have the news helicopters flying overhead at 5:45am?


I am fortunate, no 'real' damage to my home but my neighbors were not so lucky with univited trees on top of their houses and cars.












It could have been worse but the damage we have is still going to be painful. Our siding was damaged with holes from the golf size hail that pummelled our house. All the screens were damaged with holes in them, some as big as four inches! No electricity. Funny how much we depend upon it without realizing it. Everytime I went for the light switch or to have a cup of coffee or to look at the clock I thought, oh right, no electric.

We were forced to go back to a simpler time. It was really nice. We played cards last night for the first time in I don't know how long. Candles burned and flashlights were pulled out of cabinets.

Neighbors were all outside assessing their damaged homes. People were out in droves walking the streets looking at downed trees and electric lines. And it's hot and humid and sticky and muggy outside. Some folks had beers in their hands as they walked the neighborhood. There was conversations among strangers asking if everyone was okay. It truly felt like a community as I walked the streets that are usually desolate.

From bad things, good things come. I thanked God that I am one of the fortunate with minor damage compared to that of my neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts????