Monday, March 10, 2014

Family Fun Singing Happy Birthday to Mom

Had a nice time with family over the weekend.  We gathered to celebrate mom's birthday.  Small gathering at my sister's place.  I am lucky to have such a great family.  Few cousins came and very close family friends.

So much is happening right now, but then again, why should this be any different than any other time?

Mom's found an apartment, further away from me but she'll be in the apartment over our great friend, almost family, Ma Mal.  Ma Mal lived next door to my mom and dad in the new housing development they bought in 1954.  Then the Mal's moved up the street and around the corner to get a larger dwelling for their growing family.

Ma Mal is so excited that mom is moving into the apartment above her... they started their relationship as new mothers back in the 50's and are now entering their final years as neighbors again... at least they will have each other to check on and one of Ma Mal's sons is the local Fedex guy.  He stops to make sure is mom is okay, EVERYDAY... and now he'll go upstairs to ensure my mom is okay too!

My oldest son got a new job and for the first time in his life, has a place ALL HIS OWN.  No roommates, no brother to bunk with... he's thrilled.  Helped him move Saturday before heading to Mom's bday celebration.  Sunday found me going out to his new apartment and unpacking all the boxes.

When I finished the unpacking, I realized he had nothing for the kitchen besides a few food products.  I was tired and said I was heading home, but I ended up stopping at Walmart and picked up pots & pans, dishes, glasses, silverware, steak knives, colander, utensils, towels, pot holders... well you get the idea.  Then I called and told him I was coming back to drop off all the stuff I bought.  

Ended up unpacking all of the new stuff, loading the dishwasher (and I'm not talking me) but he had no detergent.  Now officially tired, we decided to go to dinner at a wonderful local restaurant and enjoyed a delish meal!

Long day, short weekend, lots of things to do... oh and I lost an hour too... but then again so did everyone else on the east coast.

Whoops, I am rambling... just trying to get some stuff out of my head and typed.... 

So, I will circle back to the top and close the loop...

Happy Birthday Mom, 
I love you and thank God for you every day.




Going to hold another Tea (&'Tini) Party later in the spring when I can use my deck outside.  Hope to have all my female cousins and their daughters & kids.  Hoping to pass along the family camaraderie to the next generation...  when all else fails, there's always family!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, I will pass along the well wishes to Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it your birthday as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not until the end of May... remember? I like emeralds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. I thought you like emeralds because you're Irish.
    Speaking of which, Happy St Paddy's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I now understand your confusion. No, emeralds are the birthstone for May and it is just a coincidence that they are green and I am Irish! BTW, in Dallas painting the town green for the next few days... may do entry on this trip... betcha can't wait. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too lad. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts????